Wednesday 8 August 2012

Avebury

And this stupendous fabric, which for some thousand years, had brav'd the continual assaults of weather, and by the nature of it, when left to itself, like the pyramids of Egypt, would have lasted as long as the globe, [has] fallen a sacrifice to the wretched ignorance and avarice of a little village unluckily plac'd within it.

(William Stukeley. Arbury)















The great stones were then in their wild state, so to speak. Some were half-covered by the grass, others stood up in cornfields or were entangled and overgrown in the copses, some were buried under turf. But they were wonderful and disquieting, and as I saw them then, I shall always remember them.

(Paul Nash)

7 comments:

  1. I was at Avebury just this weekend, and visit often as it's just up the road, so it's comforting to find familiarity in your lovely sketches on my first visit to your blog :)

    (I followed a link from Danny Gregory's recent blog entry)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, followed your blog through Danny Gregory. I love your depiction of trees and your design of the page. How do you get the darks, is it cross-hatching? Any suggestions for a beginner in drawing? thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cathy, Thanks for checking out the blog. The darks are simply built up using loosely crosshatched lines, and although it may sound trite my advice regarding drawing is to draw every day no matter what the subject. Eventually something clicks and the lines go where you want them to.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the advice! I will definitely make drawing a priority in my life. Love your blog and I will certainly be following it. I love your sketches of the trees and people and the areas around your home. I hope that I will be able to sketch my area with as much life that you capture in yours.

      Delete
  3. I like this simply but wonderful style. I'm following this blog since a lot but now I'm on blogspot too and I will be happy if you'll come and visit my own blog, even if it's wrote in italian....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your drawings have brought the landscape to live - wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. quanto mi piacciono i tuoi disegni!!!!complimenti!!

    ReplyDelete